To kick off our series, we ran the SORSE Launch Event on Wednesday 2nd September. We had two keynote speakers at this event:
- Dr Mariann Hardey, Associate Professor, Durham University: Switching off the label “women in tech”
- Dr Kari Jordan, Executive Director, The Carpentries: I wanna dance with somebody
The session began with a short welcome and introduction to SORSE followed by two 30 minute keynote talks. Dr Kari Jordan spoke about the Carpentries and Dr Mariann Hardey spoke on the subject of women in tech. The talks were followed by time for questions and then an opportunity for further discussion and networking in breakout rooms.
A recording of this event is available on YouTube.
A mailing list that will be used only for event updates and notifications is available. If you’d like to be notified of upcoming SORSE events, you can join the list here.
Times in UTC.
- Webinar opens with a welcome from the Chair, Sandra Gesing
- About SORSE - from Claire Wyatt
- The International Committee - from Stephan Janosch
- Future events - from Mateusz Kuzak
- 13:15 - Talk from Dr Mariann Hardey, Associate Professor at Durham University: “Switching off the label ‘women in tech’”
- 13:45 - Questions for Dr Hardey
- 13:55 - Talk from Dr Kari Jordan, Exective Director, The Carpentries: “I wanna dance with somebody”
- 14:25 - Questions for Dr Jordan
- 14:35 - Off to the zoom meeting for socialising!
The Carpentries vision is to be the leading inclusive community teaching data and coding skills. Our first lesson program, Software Carpentry, was founded on several core values, including feedback, gratitude, and collaboration. The role research and data plays in your personal and professional l...
The focus of the talk is on the ways in which women are discursively constructed in the context of professional spaces in tech clusters. This is to give time to consider how the label “women in tech” (WiT) is dominated by the masculine perspective of tech work and characterised by how individuals...